What are your thoughts on New Year’s resolutions? I have never really been into them as I am year round motivated, organized, creative, and project oriented. It might sound like I’m tooting my own horn, but I’m only pointing out how I normally tend to be. However, 2017 completely derailed me. I moved into a house in “the middle of the no where” that needs a lot of attention (it’s a dump) and you are probably going to see a lot of posts about my home transformations this year. I got married in our barn (which was more of a dump) and it needed and still needs work. Work at Rockwood had me on the road a bit more than usual which made projects at home hard to stay on top of (totally not complaining though because I have a pretty cool job!). I started my farmie family (this is my own made up word for the farm furies) with chickens, baby goats, and barn cats, and I’m sure if you’re a pet owner you know how much time the furies require. I’ve talked to a lot of friends that all said 2017 was rough(can you agree?) and they are ready to put that behind them and set some goals to make 2018 AWESOME.
What do your goals and resolutions look like? I have a million rolling around in my head, but let’s take baby steps. Since my office is my creative space I’m going to set two goals (although one is quite lofty) related to helping me be more inspired and productive this year:
Goal #1– DOCUMENT! I have been remodeling and interior decorating for years and although I feel like I always have so much to say, I never document my projects. I should have started a blog and an Instagram account YEARS ago, but this is no time to lament the past, let’s get this party started! I guess I’ve already accomplished this goal somewhat because this is my first blog post and we do have Instagram- follow us so you can see all our fun projects and we want to follow you and your interior design challenges too! @rockwoodshutters and my personal account @gennyleedesigns
Goal #2– ORGANIZE! I’m not going to lie because what would a blog be without the bitter truth… my house is a disaster right now. I love decorating for the holidays, but my house looks like a bomb blew up when it’s time to put it all away. I am a Virgo; I don’t do dirtiness and messiness. If you aren’t already doing so, please sit down and prepare to be appalled at the condition of my office. I am not even going to attempt to clean it up for the photo (don’t judge), you are getting it in its real life January 1, 2018 glory:
How can I be creative, inspired and motivated when I am surrounded by this disaster? Tomorrow This week, project OFFICE MAKE OVER begins! Here’s a list of what needs to happen:
- CLEAN– Move everything out of the office. What you are seeing is mostly left over items from the wedding and piles of mail
- FLOORING– we took out the carpet when we moved in and installed DIY wood floors in the rest of the house. We ran out of time for this room so it has a lovely protective layer of Home Depot cardboard boxes and a black cow hide in an effort to fancy it up (this part is ironically laughable). Have you ever lived without flooring for an extended period of time?
- LIGHTING– Replace ceiling fan with a pretty light
- SHELVES– I have tall ceilings and get giddy about using that height to make a whole wall of shelves. I will be in organizational heaven!
- FURNITURE– I am using a few thrift store pieces that need to go, but will probably replace with other thrift store pieces because how can you not love mixing the old with the new?
- WINDOW TREATMENTS– I’m debating between the natural feeling a woven wood shade brings and the tailored elegance of roman shades. I think I know someone who can help me with this- wink wink
What’s my inspiration photo for this home office makeover? This beauty….
I could go on and on with the rest of my goals and aspirations for what I hope to be a rockin’ 2018, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. This office is going to take some attention and I hope that you check back as we make progress. In the meantime, I’ll write more posts on other home projects that we’ve started at the ranch, the good, the bad, and the ugly. The ugly is cringe worthy, so stay tuned!